Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Read a Book and Give a Book

Recently I stumbled on a cool site which encourages the kids to read – wegivebooks.org.      Simply put whenever they read a book, the organization will give a book.image

How does it work?

Well it’s easy…

1) Choose a book from their growing library – at this point in time there are about 174 books which covers a multitude of topics.    I’ve seen titles from DK as well as one on the sinking of the Titanic that I am planning to read with the kids for the celebration of the 100th anniversary, one title with a cute girl dressed as a ladybug, historical books and much more. 

2) The next step is to choose a campaign.   The campaigns available right now are Read for Central America, Todos a Leer, Room to Read, World Vision, and Out of the blocks.  Each campaign has a goal of the number of books to be read.  

Bottom line is that the more you read, the more books the foundation will give books for children who need them.  

There is even resources for educators for various grades.  

The books you will find on this site are provided from Penguin and DK and are age approprite up to 10 years old.    There is a mix of fiction and nonfiction, various authors, as well as read-alouds and independent reading.    Each month new titles are added.  

To be honest, I think it is a wonderful way to encourage reading in every part of the world.  

Reading is a skill that everyone should develop in their life.    And having a program who will provide books for kids in need is marvelous.  

I’ve always been a bookworm and I hope that my kids will discover that reading is entertaining and educational.  

Interested in participating in this initiative?   Click on the image below and join the reading wave!   This will be a great opportunity for the kids to participate in the program and discover how they can bless other kids elsewhere in the world with books.  

Happy reading everyone!

image

Disclaimer: I literally stumble on this site about two weeks ago.   I loved the concept and wanted to share it with my readers. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way. All opinions expressed here are only my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment