Monday, September 13, 2010

Immanuel’s Veins

_225_350_Book_239_cover Immanuel’s VeinsWritten by Ted Dekker
Published at Thomas Nelson

About the book
This story is for everyone--but not everyone is for this story.

It is a dangerous tale of times past. A love story full of deep seduction. A story of terrible longing and bold sacrifice.

Then as now, evil begins its courtship cloaked in light. And the heart embraces what it should flee. Forgetting it once had a truer lover.

With a kiss, evil will ravage body, soul, and mind. Yet there remains hope, because the heart knows no bounds.

Love will prove greater than lust. Sacrifice will overcome seduction. And blood will flow.

Because the battle for the heart is always violently opposed. For those desperate to drink deep from this fountain of life, enter.

But remember, not everyone is for this story.

Who is Ted Dekker?
The son of missionaries John and Helen Dekker, whose incredible story of life among headhunters in Indonesia has been told in several books, Ted Dekker learned at a very early age the difference between authentic Christianity and so-called religion. Surrounded by the vivid colors of the jungle and a myriad of cultures, Dekker received a first-class education on human nature and behavior. This, he believes, is the foundation of his writing.

After earning his Bachelor's Degree in Religion and Philosophy from Evangel College, Dekker spent time in the corporate world before turning to writing full-time in 1997. He states that each time he writes, he finds his vision of God just a little clearer and his expression of that vision a little more vivid. Dekker's body of work contains over twenty novels including Thr3e, The Circle Series, and Sinner.

He lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.

Visit the official Ted Dekker web site.

My Thoughts
I was excited to review my first ever Ted Dekker book.   I have never read one of his books before and was looking forward to it.   I got warned to not to read it at night as some of his novels can be frightening.    I loved the cover and was intrigue by the title.  

Turns out I brought the book on vacation with me recently and I must say that I dislike the story.   I love the idea behind the story don’t take me wrong.   But to incorporate the “vampire” style in it was a bit too much for me.   The whole time I read it, I talked about it with my husband and told him I was somewhat uncomfortable with this whole book.  But I persevere and continued until I was at the end of it.  Will I read another Ted Dekker in the future?   I don’t know.   For a newbie on this author, this book definitively didn’t help on making me wanting to read more novels from him.

When I started to read it, I read the reviews inside the book and saw that one person had read the books numerous times in a period of two weeks.   Will I do the same?   NOT.    I have not enjoyed this book and it is beyond my understanding how someone can read the same book 7 times in two weeks.  Maybe I missed something.  I don’t know but I did understand the sacrifice of a life to save another and I appreciate the fact the Christ did that for me.   But to include vampire style in this novel was a bit too much for me.  OH!  There is a love story as well so be aware of the bizarre mix of things in the book before buying it.

Personally I wouldn’t not recommend Immanuel’s Veins but if you are into the vampire kind of books, you might like this book. 

This review was possible because I received a copy of Immanuel’s Veins from Thomas Nelson.

Immanuel’s Veins is available everywhere even at amazon.ca.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad so many people like you have read and reviewed this book! It is certainly an interesting book for a newcomer to Dekker's work and I don't blame you for being a little confused about it. As for those that read it over and over they are among the many die hard fans that Dekker has accumulated over the years unlike any other author I know of. His work is frequently controversial as far as a christian book is concerned and many seem to think he goes too far. Personally I love anything that comes from the mind and pen of Dekker. Immanuel's Veins was wonderful and I can't wait for more Ted Dekker novels to come! I posted my review of Immanuel's Veins at fablefreak.wordpress.com check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your viewpoint. I was displeased with the content, as well. I know we are in the minority on this book. I felt uncomfortable with the vampire stuff and the sensuality. I, too, kept stopping and talking to my husband and my BFF about what bothered me. I pressed on to just be done with it and write my review.

    Since this was the first of his books I've read, initially I thought I would never read another Dekker novel, but I've read that some of his other works are much different than this one. So maybe I could give one of his previous books a try. Still not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a longtime fan of Ted Dekker this was my least favorite book. You may enjoy some of his earlier stuff, especially Blessed Child or When Heaven Weeps.

    Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete