Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Momology – A Mom’s Guide to Shaping Great Kids

29436-Momology Momology – A Mom’s guide to Shaping Great Kids
Written by Shelly Radic
Published at Revell

About the book

Your go-to book for successful mothering!

Mothering is part art, part science, and always a work in progress! Backed by more than thirty years of research-based ministry at MOPS International, Momology is designed to help you be the unique mother God created you to be--because better moms make a better world.

Who is Shelly Radic?

Shelly Radic is Chief of Staff at MOPS International, author of The Birthday Book, and a regular contributor to MOPS publications. Her writing is informed by her education, mothering her four children, and twenty years of MOPS experience. She lives in Colorado.

My Thoughts

The first reason why I pick this book to review was mainly because of the cover.  It is bright, fun to look at and reminded me of my fridge at times.

What I didn’t expect is to find a well of information for moms in this little gem of a book.  The information is incremental which means it starts with your core as a mom and goes outward and toward our Father in Heaven.    Mind you, I think I would have personally started with the relationship with God first for personal reasons.

But it is also important to understand our background and how it is affecting our role as a mom.   Which is what the author is doing here.   In the first section, she even talks about forgiveness for things of the past and how totally and completely forgive someone or a group of person can be healing in the end.    I particularly enjoyed this section as I am discovering that there is some things I need to forgive from my past and more recent events from the last two-three years.  

Then the author goes on to bring you the subject of finesse which is also important as your everyday life will need adjustments when  you are raising children.  The comes the touchy subject of circles.   What do you find in your circles of influence and how to address some issues from individuals within the circle. 

Finally, you discover the grandscape which is God’s plan for you and your kids.    Not an easy one to discover but you need to trust the Creator in what he is doing.   And in the end, whatever happens is good.   Not necessarily at first when we have an event in our face but after time goes by we can understand and see what God was doing.   I know because we went through some though times on various levels in the past and now we see why it happened and how we grew through these events.

I enjoyed reading this little book and it encouraged me to pursue our decision of homeschooling our kids.   As a homeschooler, I sometimes have doubts and discouragement but this little gem reminded me that God called us to pursue this road and to continue to walk on it for the time being.   I don’t know what God has in store for the future but right now spending time to teach me kids is a priority.   My oldest son will be turning 9 this week and we realized this week-end that he is half-way to being 18.  WoW!   I cherish the time I have with him to get to know him and discover his personality.  He is gifted in many areas and I can’t hardly wait to see how God will use him in the future.

This review was possible because the book, Momology,  has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Momology is available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group including amazon.ca and christianbook.com

734497: Momology: A Mom"s Guide to Shaping Great Kids
Momology: A Mom's Guide to Shaping Great Kids


Available @ Christianbook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment