Friday, March 12, 2010

Bibleman -Combating The Commandant of Confusion DVD

Bibleman -Combating The Commandant of Confusion DVD

A Bibleman Live Adventure
Distributed by Thomas Nelson

About the DVD
A dastardly villain plots to steal the armor of God.

The Commandant of Confusion and his side kick, Chaos, interrupt the Bible Adventure Training Academy and steal the Bible Team’s secret weapon, which helps them put on the full armor of God “anytime, anyplace.” There is a warning label on the secret weapon that reads in part, “this device contains the most powerful weapon known to man, follow instructions closely to prevent severe harm.” Will the Commandant heed the warning? Will the Bible Adventure Team recover it?

Scripture lesson: “God is not a God of confusion but a God of peace.” 1 Corinthians 14:33 (ICB)

For more Bibleman products check out their website. http://www.bibleman.com/  

My Thoughts
I was always curious about the Bibleman DVDs since a few years. And recently I was able to request the latest adventure so I can review it. I was looking forward to discover a series for older kids ages 6 to 10.

We received the package last night during supper time. We had to leave for Awana after so this morning after our school work, I’ve decided to put the Bibleman DVD so that the kids and I could watch it.

My reaction? I find it cheesy. First, this is not a regular adventure but a DVD from the show that goes on the road. Sometimes I found the sound was not as good as if it would have been a regular DVD episode. And you have the live audience to deal with which I find disturbing…

Then the fights are a mixture of Star Wars and other popular movies/tv shows. The light sabers criss-crossed each other while they fight against the villains. The voice of one of the villains reminded me of the voice of the borg in Star Trek. And the action as well as the dialogue needed more work. It was not going fluently between the characters.

Mind you the message behind it all was good. It started with wearing the full armour of God and then is then it went on the message about confusion. I also realized that there was a typo error on the back cover of the DVD case.  And the fact that the DVD starts with a series of preview instead of going directly to the main menu is bothering me a lot.   Children are exposed enough with advertizing, they don't need to be bombarded with it when they start a DVD.

I don’t want to judge Bibleman with this video because this is not a regular DVD adventure but more a LIVE adventure in front of an audience. But for this DVD, I would not recommend it to others. That’s my personal opinion.

My kids’ reaction? After the episode was done, I asked my older boys what they thought about it. Here’s their answers.
Alexandre “Cool! I really want to see other ones. At the end there was a prayer.”
Dominic “It was pretty good. I liked the prayer and the fighting.” He even made me a demonstration of how one of the girl fought her enemy.
My younger two sat with them while they were watching and stayed there for the whole time.

So I guess that even though I find it cheesy, at the kids’ perspective it was pretty good and worth checking out other episodes of Bibleman...

This review was possible because I received a copy of Bibleman - Combating The Commandant of Confusion DVD from Thomas Nelson.

Bibleman - Combating The Commandant of Confusion DVD is available everywhere even at amazon.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment