Sunday, May 31, 2009

Being in limbo... while reading?

Saints in Limbo
By River Jordan
Published at WaterBrook

About the novel
Ever since her husband Joe died, Velma True’s world has been limited to what she can see while clinging to one of the multicolored threads tied to the porch railing of her home outside Echo, Florida.
When a mysterious stranger appears at her door on her birthday and presents Velma with a special gift, she is rattled by the object’s ability to take her into her memories–a place where Joe still lives, her son Rudy is still young, unaffected by the world’s hardness, and the beginning is closer than the end. As secrets old and new come to light, Velma wonders if it’s possible to be unmoored from the past’s deep roots and find a reason to hope again.

Who is River Jordan?
River Jordan is a critically acclaimed novelist and playwright whose unique mixture of southern and mystic writing has drawn comparisons to Sarah Addison Allen, Leif Enger, and Flannery O’Connor. Her previous works include The Messenger of Magnolia Street, lauded by Kirkus Reviews as “a beautifully written, atmospheric tale.” She speaks around the country and makes her home in Nashville.

My thoughts
I tried. I tried really hard to enjoy this book. But after reading more than 16 chapters, I still don’t get it. I’m lost on what is going on and what is the whole purpose of the novel. I sense there are dealings with spiritual beings with the main characters but somehow it is not so clear. I guess I am not a brainy kind of woman. When I read a novel, I prefer being part of it and travel with the characters. But this novel – I’m lost – in limbo – literally.
Oh I know someone who seems to have enjoyed the novel a lot. So that kind of novel does speak to others. Just not me I guess! There is a whole mystical idea throughout the novel which totally eludes me. I’ve read other books that contain some sort of spiritual battles in it and were captivating for me. Somehow this particular novel doesn’t hit the spot.
It seems that after 16 chapters I could enjoy the novel more and I will continue reading it just because I hate not finishing something I started. I know I’m bizarre but if I don’t finish the book, how will I know if there isn’t something that will touch me later on.

If you like not so evident novels, I think you might want to look into this one.

Saints in Limbo is available everywhere even at amazon.ca and indigo.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment